Dr. Safaa Kumari
Name:Safaa M. Ghassan Kumari
Address:ICARDA, Terbol Station, Zahle, Beqa’a Valley, Lebanon
Email: [email protected]
Position:Head of Seed Health Lab/Plant Virologist / International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA)
- 1982-1985 : B.SC. Aleppo University, Faculty of Agriculture, Syria
- 1990-1991 : Diploma of higher studies, Damascus University, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Plant Protection, Syria.
- 1992-1994:MSc, Tishreen University, Faculty of Agriculture, Departemnt of Plant Protection, Syria. Thesis title A STUDY ON SEED-BORNE VIRUSES OF LENTIL IN SYRIA “distribution, economic losses, detection, seed transmission rate and thermal treatment of seed as a control measure”.
- 1996-2002:Ph.D., Aleppo University, Faculty of Agriculture, Departemnt of Plant Protection, Syria. Thesis title “An Study on Luteoviruses Affecting Cool-Season Food Legumes”.
- 1987-2015:Working on legume and cereal viruses at ICARDA: survey for virus diseases in Ceteral & West Asia and North Africa region (CWANA), detection, host range, crop losses, screening, transmission, control, serology, production of antisera, preparation of diagnostic kits for the detection of specific cereal and legume viruses and use a variety serological techniques.
- 2015-Present:Head of Seed Health Lab/Plant Virologist, ICARDA, Terbol Station, Lebanon
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEES
- Arab Journal of Plant Protection; Assistant Editor (1996 – 2003); Associate Editor (2003-present)
- Arab and Near East Plant Protection Newsletter, A Newsletter Published by the Arab Society for Plant Protection and FAO; Assistant Editor (1996 – 2003); Editorial Board (2003-2017)
- Chairperson of the Publication Committee of the Arab Society for Plant Protection (2004–2009; and 2017-2020).
- Chairperson of Translation Committee of the Arab Society for Plant Protection (2010-2017)
- Mediterranean Phytopathological Union (MPU), Editor of MPU Newsletter (2006-2009)
- West Asian Representative of the International Plant Virus Epidemiology Working Group (2007-2010)
SUPERVISION OF THESIS RESEARCH
Over the past 20 years I guided 8 M.Sc. & 7 Ph.D. graduate students to conduct their thesis research in Virology; and trained more than 300 individual trainees from different counties of Central & West Asia & North Africa (CWANA) in Virology & Seed Health testing.
RG Score: 32.78
- Papers in Refereed Journals 112 Papers
- Papers in non-refereed Journals 12 Papers
- Papers in Scientific Proceedings 13 Papers
- Book chapters 8 Chapters
- Books/Proceedings Editing 9 Books
- Oral or Poster Presentations in Scientific Meetings 111 Abstracts